Celebrating 150 years of Italian Settlement 1864-2014
The Davedi Club is proud to display a proclamation made in 1964 by the incumbent Mayor of North Bay. Here is the text:
Greetings to the Italo-Canadian Community on the occasion of One Hundred Years of Italian settlement in Canada. On behalf of the City of North Bay our best wishes are extended to all our resident Canadians of Italian origin with a sincere hope that the coming century will prove most rewarding and progressive for all.
Signed October 24 1964 by C . H. Hewitt, Mayor of North Bay
50 years later, to celebrate this anniversary, the Davedi will host concerts and other events, including a weekend Italian Festival. These events reflect the cultural traditions of Italy as expressed in the origin of the name “Davedi” a combination of letters from Dante Alighieri (literature), Giuseppe Verdi (music) and Joe Dimaggio (sport).
The events include:
- January 10 Melodiosa….music with the Silver Birch String Quartet
- February 14 Con Amore…music and dancing with Twilight
- March 14 Il viaggio in cerca di prosperita…storytelling and film about italian immigration
- April 11 Fisharmonicista/Accordionist…Michael Bridge
- May 16 La Diva Con Brio…Alyson Spina sings
- June 6 and 7 Saint Anthony Celebration and Italian Festival.
The events are free to all; supper can be purchased.
For further information please go to Davedi
www.davediclub.com or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org